Sicily is in fact part of Italy and is the biggest island within the Mediterranean with a bunch of sights that make it well-known.
This gorgeous island is likely one of the twenty areas of Italy and is known for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and may undoubtedly be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the right mixture of gorgeous landscapes, improbable seashores, unimaginable delicacies in addition to one among Europe’s greatest climates, so it’s no marvel that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an 8 day Sicily itinerary may seem like.
Right here’s how one can plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is known for its lovely fountains and wonderful piazzas. However largely for its unimaginable meals tradition—which is likely one of the essential causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals because of this alone, and one of many main sights you can’t overlook is the traditional La Vucciria meals market. This market holds social significance throughout the metropolis in addition to enjoying a central function right here. This iconic meals market is the place you possibly can take pleasure in every kind of scrumptious and native avenue meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the full of life ambiance, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your solution to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to attempt some well-known avenue meals similar to arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to study the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. In the event you’re feeling adventurous, make sure to attempt the well-known beef spleen sandwich often called pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you might be able to tackle a few of Palermo’s greatest sights over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a improbable constructing of nice significance throughout the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and might be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The most important opera home in Italy and the third-largest on this planet.
If you end up with time in your palms and are on the lookout for extra issues to do, then be certain that so as to add these non-obligatory sights to your record.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You possibly can go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. Yow will discover some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, contemporary fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
Right this moment, you’ll go away Palermo and observe the north coast in direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a shocking hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a improbable resort city, which is unquestionably value a go to. In your first night, be certain that to take a stroll down the bustling essential avenue of Corso Umberto and choose a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not absorb an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be an amazing expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The subsequent day, there are a bunch of actions you possibly can take pleasure in on this lovely coastal city, together with:
- Enjoyable on one of many seashores similar to Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has the perfect view of town and Mt Etna and is, in fact, open 24 hours a day to take pleasure in.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unimaginable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to loosen up and the right spot to take pleasure in a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the right place to go to to see wonderful waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to dwell music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to just a few of the film’s movie areas within the city of Savoca, simply exterior Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll go away Taormina and head to Catania. Nonetheless, you’ll in fact be stopping at some of the well-known sights on the island alongside the best way–Mount Etna. This lively stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You possibly can both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you possibly can merely spend a while having fun with the views and the infinite photograph alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Well-known Volcanoes
Word: Whereas Italy is usually not an unsafe place to go to, try to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and care for your valuables in locations similar to this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you just simply can’t overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, count on to be greeted by a improbable view of Mount Etna, which varieties the enduring backdrop of this gorgeous metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the ambiance of town in all its glory, which is clear on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you should have the entire day to discover town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unimaginable Catanese Baroque structure, full with gorgeous frescos. On condition that this historic location is now getting used for concert events, verify their web site for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This lovely and historic cathedral is centrally positioned, so there is no such thing as a cause to overlook out on seeing the great baroque structure which makes this so common. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose pageant is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, be certain that to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in lots of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Take pleasure in one other lovely night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a shocking sundown over Mount Etna, as you absorb all you will have encountered immediately, as a part of your 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
Right this moment, after a contemporary and attractive Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your solution to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its sights in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your approach right here, you possibly can cease on the archeological web site of Agrigento, which is likely one of the most important historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the varied mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’re going to get the prospect to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Relationship again to 1907, it is a main characteristic within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed by way of a bridge and is known for its unimaginable Baroque type Piazza del Duomo–top-of-the-line in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, provided that it’s well-known for the Modica candies—which you’ll style and, in fact, take dwelling. This city is famed for its lovely array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slender, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this lovely hilly city, earlier than making your approach again to Catania in your final night in Sicily, closing off your improbable 8 day Sicily itinerary.